Saturday 8 September 2018

Guilt Be Gone


September already and so far this year the many writing plans I had in mind last January have taken a backseat. But that's okay, although for months, I battered myself with guilt. It really was only over this weekend, I realised I don't need to be stuck to a timetable or need permission to not turn up to the page. Writing like everything else in my life will have its moments.
It's not like I've sat back and ignored the two novels I began months ago, or the hunt I wanted to go on for an agent, the marketing ides I need to come up with to sell my books, I didn't. It was, that other equally important matters as my writing life, needed my attention.
How many nights did I twist and turn thinking how I will sit at the desk in the morning and write thousands of words, knowing deep down, it wasn't going to happen. Life happens in cycles like the seasons of each year, there is a time for everything.
Family and health took priority so far this year and rightly so. Now that I am on a more even keel with both of those issues, my time can once more be diverted to my writing. It feels right now to sit and type, or think, or plan, or whatever is required for what I'm dealing with, novel, short story, promotion etc.
If you've missed some time at your desk, relax, it will right itself. A writer is never off duty, if you are not writing you will be thinking about it, breathing it, so let the guilt go.
Plus the year isn't over yet, I might complete all I want to do yet and so might you.


4 comments:

  1. Super comment on life and especially the life of the writer!! Just got to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and delighted you like the post.

      Delete
  2. So many writers (or aspiring writers) have these guilt trips. And social media doesn't help with the constant reprimands about, "If you're not writing, why not?" or "Writing is always the most important thing in your life. You need to make time for it now!" That's great if you don't have a job or obligations to others (elderly parents or children - even a spouse) or health problems - there are a lot of issues that often take priority.

    Your post is a great reminder that taking a break from writing to deal with life's responsibilities doesn't make you a bad person or stop you from being a writer. Write when you can. Many of my blog posts and short stories were written during my lunch time on a scrap of paper. It's often the only time available for me.

    Hey, sometimes it's even a good thing to take a break!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you agree too. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete